Based on PNG’s Vision on REDD+, and the guidance of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the approaches of REDD+ in Papua New Guinea will be based on the five approaches for decisions to be actioned.
PNG’s Approach to REDD+:
- Support transformational change where the country considers the economic and land use development to enable PNG achieve low emissions and green development pathway;
- Support sector agencies, communities and landholders to take action aligning to the policies and measures of REDD+;
- To fulfill the requirements of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Be able to report the emissions and removals under the three activities of REDD+. These include reducing of emissions from deforestation, reducing of emissions from forest degradation, and enhancing forest carbon stocks; and
- The REDD+ projects that target voluntary market to follow the National REDD+ guidelines and the requirements of the UNFCCC.